Monday, June 30, 2008

My New Home

So, I have already fell in love with Heidelberg! It is the absolutely most beautiful place that I have ever lived. We live on Hauptstrasse which is super cool because that is the main street here in germany where there are no cars and just cobblestone roads and all the cute shops and of course tons of tourists! All the tourists here makes it kind of hard to find people to actually teach, but we have gotten a few referrals already for other countries, so that's pretty cool. We also live right underneath the huge castle here. it's so sweet! They definitly hooked up the sisters here because I'm pretty sure the elders don't have as cool of apartments as we do. (the only struggle is our kitchen, it's like the size of a closet! and the oven doesn't work and the fridge is in the family room haha, but oh well, and in the bathroom, the shower head it not up high, you have to hold it while you wash your hair! that's a struggle! but oh well, i'm over it. the rest of our apartment is pretty sweet!) what I love most about here though are the people. Everyone is so nice and friendly and the ward is awesome! It reminds me alot of our ward at home. They are all just really tight with eachother, but really strong in the church and just really loving. I think that I am really going to enjoy serving down here.
So, serving with sister stevenson was really hard because we are just ssooo different from eachother, but our last few weeks together we finally starting having alot of fun. I really learned alot from her and she really is such a great missionary. She is a really hard worker. I am grateful that I was trained by her. I know that the Lord puts us with specific people for specific reasons and I am grateful for that, and that I was able to learn so much. So it really was good to serve with sis. stevenson. Now though, I am sssooo excited to be working with Ranzenberger. She is so much fun! We seriously have clicked right from the start and have been having alot of fun together. (we have been laughing alot! like pee your pants laughing haha which is really what I needed because sis. stevenson is really serious and stressed out all the time, so it is fun to be with someone a little more relaxed and I can just be myself and have fun, but still work hard of course!).
Heidelberg is a biking area! I absolutely love it! It is so pretty and we ride along the river on the way to our appointments, it's really fun. It's kind of a little difficult in a skirt though, especially because all of my skirts are so long! I wore by shortest one the other day (my black and white one from Macey's) . . . . yeah, it got caught in the back tire and got grease all over it, that was a struggle, but don't worry, a little bit of dish soap and some cold water, it came right out! I feel kind of like a nerd riding around with a helmet on, but oh well, what do ya do.
There is this old woman and we visit that is pretty much blind and in a wheelchair. her name is Frau Kastle. she is sssooo scary! She yells at everyone. (the sisters warned me about her, but I didn't really think too much of it, but she really does yell at everyone!) We read with her from the Bible and she gets mad at us when we pronouce things wrong haha, hopefully I will have perfect pronounciation by the time that I am done here! but then she always gives us lots of cookies, fruit, muffins and juice to take home, so that's nice. She's a funny woman. I think she liked me though, so that's good.
We only have one progressing investigator here. Her name is anna. She is really awesome. She is sooo ready for the gospel. She use to not believe in God, and now she does, but her husband still doesn't and he doesn't know how serious anna is with our church and she is afriad to tell him. So we are all going to fast together so that she will have the courage to talk to him.
Yesterday we got a referral from church headquarters for this American who is studying here for a year. She lives right down the street from us so went by on her and we were outside talking to her and some younger girls (probably jr. high age) walked by and were like "missionaries!!" and they said hi (they were members) and were all excited to see us, and then a couple of minutes later we some a couple of other younger girls about the same age and they said hi too and were all excited too. and as they walked away, the one girl said to her friend "I love seeing the missionaries" it was sooo sweet. you have no idea how much that meant to us. It is sooo fun to see members while we were here serving. They are always so friendly and stop and talk. We saw a big group on Sunday, this man came up from behind me said really loud "Now are these some of those wierd people we call Mormon's!" and then they stopped and talked to us for a few minutes. It was fun.
Well, I am absolutely loving it here already. Our district is going to be pretty cool too. Our district leader is from Austria and we have another elder in our district from Switzerland, hopefully they can help me with my German!
thanks so much for being such a great support. I love all of you and miss you so much, but let's be honest, I am having alot more fun than any of you! So good luck at home. I love you!
Love, Sister Kaitlin Jean Stewart

2 comments:

Hayden said...

SISTER STEWART!!!! hello!!! my best friend how in the world are you? I am so happy i found you on the blog thing! I'm so excited to read your posts about your mission and I hope your doing well! I seriously love your family so much I see your little brother sometimes around here! please write me back i love you!

McKenna said...

Hey. This is McKenna (Ehat, now Åkebrand) we went to high school together. I am actually living in Frankfurt which happens to be in your mission. It's so cool that you are in Germany. I've really been wondering if anyone I know would ever be sent here to Frankfurt on their mission and now here I find you by just doing a little blog searching. Toll!

Heildelberg is so beautiful you are very lucky to be living on the hauptstraße, I've been there a couple times and it's so fun and lively, you always see something interesting everyday.

Hope to see you in Frankfurt soon. That would be wunderbar :)